Bascom Hill in spring

Apply to UW–Madison

Any student interested in applying as an undergraduate to the University of Wisconsin–Madison must submit an online application. Additionally, each type of applicant will be required to submit additional required materials by our deadlines in order to complete the application and be reviewed for admission.

What Type of Student Should I Apply As?

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Who is a First-Year Student?

A first-year student includes anyone who is currently a student in high school or who has not taken college coursework since graduating from high school.

Learn more about applying as a first-year student.

Who is a Transfer Student?

A transfer student is anyone who has attended another college or university after graduating from high school and wishes to enroll in an undergraduate degree program at UW–Madison.

You must have completed at least 24 transferable semester hours of college-level work. Credit by exam cannot be used toward the 24 transferable credit requirement. We do not admit freshman-level transfer students.

Learn more about applying as a transfer student.

Who is a Reentry Student?

Students who previously attended the University of Wisconsin–Madison as an undergraduate and would like to complete their first undergraduate degree will need to apply for reentry admission. Reentry students are those who have not been enrolled in courses for a semester or more.

Learn more about applying as a reentry student.

Who is a Second Degree Student?

Students who have completed a bachelor’s degree previously at UW–Madison or another institution and are interested in pursuing a second bachelor’s degree will need to apply for second undergraduate degree admission.

Learn more about applying as a second degree student.